When it comes to exercising you have to be intentional about the planning and the execution of it. Many times we go throughout our day trying to get the high priority items on our agenda completed and sometimes as a result we neglect ourselves in the process. However, this doesn’t have to be our present or future reality. Prioritize getting exercise daily through intentionally planning for it. For example last night I put my workout clothes/shoes out so this morning I could quickly get dressed and out of the door to exercise.
My day starts at 7am and I intentionally get at least 30-60 minutes of exercise in by 8am so I can then be available for the virtual learning of my children and to start my work day. During their lunch breaks I intentionally get another 30 minutes of walking in and if I’m really motivated I’ll take another walk with my whole family in the evening. This is an example of intentionally scheduling time in my day to engage in self-care/exercise.
What is the benefit of getting exercise daily and why should we make this an intentional practice?
- Mood uplift – endorphins, our feel good neurotransmitters are created by the brain during exercise and its a great distraction from the stressors that could possibly be weighing heavily on our minds. (https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/more-evidence-that-exercise-can-boost-mood)
- Supports/maintains weight loss efforts – Increases calorie burn, fat burn and muscle building potential. (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/oby.20145)
- Strengthens the immune system – our white blood cells circulates more rapidly during exercise and this causes them to detect illnesses earlier and to fight infection better. (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007165.htm?utm_source=email&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=mplus_share)
- Increases alertness and focus for your most important tasks for the day and other mental health benefits. (https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-living/the-mental-health-benefits-of-exercise.htm)
- Increased energy – helps to relieve fatigue and boost your energy in the long run. (https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20061103/exercise-fights-fatigue-boosts-energy)
- Improved sleep quality – just be mindful not to exercise too late in the day, the earlier the better. (https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/exercising-for-better-sleep)
- Disease prevention benefits – It decreases your chances of developing Heart Disease, Type II Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol & Obesity. The recommendation is to get at least 30-60 mins of activity in daily. (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/heart-disease-prevention/art-20046502)
As you can see there are some AMAZING benefits to intentionally planning exercise in your daily agenda and it has been a key part of my Choosing Healthy journey in addition to helping me to achieve my 70 pound weight loss goal this year. If you haven’t seen my testimonial of how I lost 70 pounds during this 2020 pandemic go to my YouTube channel at: https://youtu.be/AocttfUteGk
While you’re there go ahead and subscribe to my YouTube channel so you can be notified when I post new content to help motivate you on your Choosing Healthy Journey!!!
If you’re interested in participating in my September 2020 selfcare challenge go to my Choosing Healthy with Monica Akerele website for the complete details: https://monicaakerele.com/choosing-healthy-self-care-challenge/
I’ve also added some Motivational Coaching Services as an additional resource to help support you on your health journey if you feel this would be helpful to you. Click on one of the 2 link options below to set-up an appointment with me.
1 on 1 Motivational Coaching: $20.00 per 30 minute session:
1 on 1 Motivational Coaching: $30.00 per 1 hour session:
Disclaimer: Always get your doctor’s approval before embarking upon a ketogenic, intermittent fasting and/or an exercise regimen. This is not a substitute for professional medical, nutritional or exercise advice this is for motivational, informational and educational purposes only.