Happy May and welcome to my monthly eating clean, low carb, exercise, self-care motivational blog called Choosing Healthy with Monica Akerele! I hope you are doing well and staying healthy in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic!
What have you planned to do concerning your health, diet, self-care and exercise life and how are your 2022 goals going so far??? Wherever you are in your goal process make a decision not to give up on your goal of becoming a healthier version of YOU! We don’t do diets here we are living this healthy life out one day at a time, one meal at a time, one exercise at a time! I am on this self-care journey with you to becoming healthier holistically. It is not a sprint, it is a lifetime journey. Every journey begins with one step. If you are ready to take that first step join me on my next monthly self-care challenge beginning on May 9, 2022!
Read below for the details and subscribe to my Choosing Healthy with Monica Akerele YouTube Channel on the link below!!! Thanks for your support and I look forward to sharing more relevant self-care content to help make Choosing Healthy a lot more motivational and empowering for you!
The goal for this May 2022 Choosing Healthy Self-care Challenge is focused on implementing healthy habits such as being consistent with getting at least 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times weekly, eating low carb, non starchy foods, getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep daily and/or practicing intentional self-care daily. In addition to that I challenge you to Choose Healthy by reducing or eliminating high carb/sugary foods and to eliminate snacking in between meals. Eat organic/Non-GMO food as much as possible but if its not possible for you to buy organic just stick to whole foods/eating clean. Here are the whole foods for this challenge:
1) Meat including chicken, turkey, beef and pork that are organic, grass fed and free from hormones, preservatives, antibiotics and steroids. Turkey or Pork Bacon with no Nitrites or Nitrates and organic eggs.
2) Organic/Non GMO Vegetables (fresh or frozen – no canned vegetables)
3) Organic/Non GMO Fruit – Coconuts or berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries) are best as they have a lower glycemic index and are full of antioxidants.
4) Nuts (almonds, pecans, macadamias, walnuts) and seeds (chia and flax seeds)
5) Drinks: Spring Water, unsweetened organic/Non-GMO almond milk, coconut milk, organic black coffee, Bulletproof Coffee, Bone Broth and hot green, black, white tea or herbal tea. You can drink coffee or tea black or with Erythritol or Stevia. Strive to drink at least 1 gallon of water per day.
6) Eat healthy fats such as organic coconut oil, avocados, avocado oil, olive oil, grass-fed butter and Ghee.
I recommend the following for weight loss & overall health:
Whole30 program – I recommend this program for people who simply want to change your diet to eating clean healthy whole food in order to reduce inflammation and to break the cycle of eating processed foods for overall good health.
Low Carb Meals – Eliminating all added/processed sugar, breads and starchy/processed carbs like pasta, rice and potatoes. Daily carbs are generally anywhere between 50-100 grams of carbs daily depending on your age, weight, gender, activity level as well as other health factors.
Time Restricted Eating: Limits the timeframe in which you eat. For example eating your meals within an 8-10 hour time frame. Research has shown some metabolic health benefits of this time restricted eating that include: reductions in body fat, waist circumference, body weight and BMI.
I’ve tried them all and they do work and are beneficial for you to incorporate into your healthy lifestyle but ask your doctor/dietician first before beginning any of them.
7) Sleep at least 7-8 hours per day! This is so important! Read more about why this is important here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/how-many-hours-of-sleep-are-enough/faq-20057898
8) Exercise at least 3 days per week for at least 30 minutes per session.
9) Download the MyFitnessPal or Carb Manager app on your smartphone or tablet. The purpose of these apps is to track your meal macros, water and exercise activity for the day. It also allows you to track your weight and other measurements. Remember this you cannot manage what you do not measure!
10) Remember the following NOs on this challenge – No sugar outside of low glycemic index fruits such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries, No starchy carbs including corn, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, beans, no peanuts, no vegetable oil, no canola oil, no soybean oil, no dairy (outside of eggs, organic heavy cream & grass-fed butter), no artificial sugars or sweeteners, no snacking in between meals and NO processed foods.
I know this may seem challenging but it has truly been the key to my weight loss success along with prayer! I have lost 70 pounds by implementing these processes.
Subscribe to my Choosing Healthy With Monica Akerele YouTube channel to get healthy content that will empower, educate and motivate you on your Choosing Healthy Journey!!!
For motivation on your Choosing Healthy journey click the follow button on my blog at http://www.monicaakerele.com.
As a reminder our monthly eating clean, low carb, exercise, self-care challenge starts on 5/9/2022! Let’s move throughout 2022 strong and healthy!!! Take a picture before you start so when the challenge is over you can see the difference that one month of healthy eating, self-care and exercise made!
Disclaimer: Always get your doctor’s approval before embarking upon a low carb, intermittent fasting and/or an exercise regimen. This is not a substitute for professional medical, nutritional or exercise advice this is for motivational and educational purposes only.
Let’s Go! You CAN do it!
In case you didn’t know I have 3 songs titled “Faith Forward”, “Trust In You” and “Faithful Is Our God” that were released on iTunes, Amazon, YouTube Music and all other digital music/streaming apps. Click the links below to listen or download these songs on Amazon Music! Thanks for your support!!!
Stay connected to keep up to date with what I’m doing in music, YouTube content and self-care motivation! – Monica Akerele, MSW, LMSW