Welcome to my monthly eating clean, low carb, exercise, self-care motivational blog called Choosing Healthy with Monica Akerele! I hope you are doing well and staying healthy in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic! Have you set and been working towards your 2021 goals??? What have you resolved to do concerning your health, diet and exercise life in 2021? Wherever you are in your process please don’t give up on your goals towards becoming a healthier version of YOU! We don’t do diets here we are living this healthy life out one day at a time, one meal at a time, one exercise at a time! I am on this journey with you to becoming healthier holistically. It is not a sprint, it is a lifetime journey. Every journey begins with one step. If you are ready to take that first step join me on my next monthly challenge beginning on May 1, 2021!!! Read below for the details and subscribe to my Choosing Healthy with Monica Akerele YouTube Channel on the link below!!! Thanks for your support and I look forward to sharing more relevant self-care content to help make Choosing Healthy a lot more motivational and empowering for you!
The goal for this month’s self-care challenge is to eliminate added sugar and refined/starchy carbs. In addition we will continue with developing sustainable healthy habits and be consistent with it such as getting at least 30 minutes of exercise in daily, getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep daily and practicing intentional self-care daily. In addition to that I challenge you to Choose Healthy by eating clean whole foods that means no processed foods and to eliminate snacking in between meals. Eat organic/Non-GMO food as much as possible but if its not possible for you to buy organic just stick to whole foods/eating clean. Here are the whole foods for this challenge:
1) Meat including chicken, turkey, beef and pork that are organic, grass fed and free from hormones, preservatives, antibiotics and steroids. Turkey or Pork Bacon with no Nitrites or Nitrates and organic eggs.
2) Organic/Non GMO Vegetables (fresh or frozen – no canned vegetables)
3) Organic/Non GMO Fruit – Berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries) are best as they have a lower glycemic index and are full of antioxidants.
4) Nuts (almonds, pecans, macadamias, walnuts) and seeds (chia and flax seeds)
5) Drinks: Spring Water, unsweetened organic/Non-GMO almond milk, coconut milk or organic vegan protein for a breakfast shake or smoothie, black coffee, Bulletproof Coffee, Bone Broth and hot green, black, white tea or herbal tea. You can drink coffee or tea without a sweetener. NO DIET SODAS/DRINKS nor artificial sweeteners as studies suggest that they can be harmful to your health & possibly cause cancer. Strive to drink at least 1 gallon of water per day.
6) Eat healthy fats such as organic coconut oil, avocados, avocado oil, olive oil, grass-fed butter and Ghee.
I recommend the following for weight loss & overall health:
Whole30 program – I recommend this program for people who simply want to change your diet to eating clean healthy whole food in order to reduce inflammation and to break the cycle of eating processed foods for overall good health.
Low Carb Meals – Eliminating all added/processed sugar, breads and starchy/processed carbs like pasta, rice and potatoes. Daily Carbs are generally anywhere between 50-150 daily depending on your age, weight, gender and activity level as well as other factors.
Intermittent Fasting: Intermittent Fasting Guide
I’ve tried them all and they do work and are beneficial for you to incorporate into your healthy lifestyle but ask your doctor/dietician first before beginning any of them.
7) Sleep at least 7-8 hours per day! This is soooooooo important!
8) Exercise at least 3-5 days per week for 30-60 minutes per session.
9) Download the MyFitnessPal or Carb Manager app on your smartphone or tablet. The purpose of these apps is to track your meal macros, water and exercise activity for the day. It also allows you to track your weight and other measurements. Remember this you cannot manage what you do not measure!
10) Remember the following NOs on this challenge – No sugar outside of low glycemic index fruits such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries, No starchy carbs including corn, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, beans, no peanuts, no vegetable oil, no canola oil, no soybean oil, no dairy (outside of eggs, organic heavy cream & grass-fed butter), no artificial sugars or sweeteners, no snacking in between meals and NO processed foods.
I know this may seem challenging but it has truly been the key to my weight loss success along with prayer! I have lost 70 pounds by implementing these processes.
I’m accepting new clients and I’m offering some Motivational Coaching Services as an additional resource to help provide support and accountability for you on your Choosing Healthy journey. If you feel this would be helpful to you click on the link below to set-up a Coaching appointment with me through Zoom.
Subscribe to my Choosing Healthy With Monica Akerele YouTube channel to get healthy content that will empower, educate and motivate you on your Choosing Healthy Journey!!!
For motivation on your Choosing Healthy journey click the follow button on my blog at http://www.monicaakerele.com.
As a reminder our next monthly eating clean, low carb, exercise, self-care challenge starts on 5/1/2021! It’s a Choose Healthy self-care challenge!!! Take a picture before you start so when the challenge is over you can see the difference that one month of healthy eating, self-care and exercise made!
Disclaimer: Always get your doctor’s approval before embarking upon a ketogenic, intermittent fasting and/or an exercise regimen. This is not a substitute for professional medical, nutritional or exercise advice this is for motivational and educational purposes only.
Let’s Go! You CAN do it!
In case you didn’t know I have 3 songs titled “Faith Forward”, “Trust In You” and “Faithful Is Our God” that were released on iTunes, Amazon, YouTube Music and all other digital music/streaming apps. Click the links below to listen or download these songs on Amazon Music! Thanks for your support!!!
Stay connected to keep up to date with what I’m doing in music, YouTube content and self-care motivation! – Monica Akerele, MSW, LMSW