The goal for this challenge is to eat clean that means no processed foods and to eat organic/Non-GMO food as much as possible but if its not possible for you to buy organic just stick to whole foods/eating clean. Here are the acceptable foods for this challenge:
1) Lean meats including chicken, turkey, lean cuts of beef and pork that are organic or free from hormones, preservatives, antibiotics & steriods. Turkey or Pork Bacon with no Nitrites or Nitrates. Target, Trader Joes, Whole Foods Market, Healthy Home Market, Fresh Market and EarthFare sells this. You can also have organic brown eggs. Aldi sells their organic eggs for $3.49 a dozen. This is the best price I’ve seen to date outside of Costco.
2) Organic/Non GMO Vegetables (fresh or frozen – no canned vegetables)
3) Fruit 1-2 per day (Do not eat this after 4pm)
4) Beans, peas, organic/Non-GMO hummus (limit to once per day or for better results leave it out completely)
5) Nuts (almonds, cashews, macadamia, walnuts) and Seeds (chia and flax seeds – You can add these to your smoothies)
6) Drinks: Water, unsweetened organic/Non-GMO almond milk, coconut milk or organic vegan protein for a breakfast shake or smoothie, black coffee and hot green, black, or white tea. You can drink coffee or tea without a sweetener or you can use 1-2 teaspoons of agave nector as your sweetener. But limit it to once per day. On this challenge I want to totally eliminate all artificial sweeteners as studies suggest that they can be harmful to your health & possibly cause cancer. Strive to drink at least 1 gallon of water per day or more.
I also recommend 2 other diet plans/programs:
Whole30: Whole30 program – I recommend this one for those of you who have tried everything to no avail and/or may be experiencing a weight loss hump or plateau.
I’ve tried both and they do work. I will go into detail in future posts about these and other programs that may be beneficial for you to incorporate into your healthy lifestyle.
7) Sleep at least 6-9 hours per day (depending on your age)
8) Exercise at least 3-5 days per week for 30-60 minutes per session.
9) Integrate some intermittent fasting. I have adopted this way of eating and it has definitely worked for me. Check out www.leangains.com for more details on this eating pattern. I will go more in depth on this in future posts.
I’m praying for your success on this challenge! Let’s get it!!!
Follow me on my blog at http://www.monicaakerele.wordpress.com & on Twitter @MonicaAkerele